While you may be skeptical of the claim, the company says that the Batteriser is a miniaturized version of a boost converter that raises the output voltage of a power source at the expense of current. A normal AA or C cell is designed to deliver a steady 1.5 volts, but as the power is depleated the voltage will drop. Once it slips below 1.35 or even 1.4 volts, it effectively becomes useless to many devices. The battery’s chemistry is still loaded with juice, but the circuitry in many gadgets (especially more sophisticated ones, like Bluetooth keyboards and bathroom scales) considers the battery dead.
This is where Batteriser comes in. It’s essentially a voltage booster that sucks every last drop of useable energy from ostensibly spent batteries. So, instead of using just 20 percent of all the power hidden inside of the battery, Batteriser makes effective use of the remaining 80 percent.
Voltage boosters are nothing new, but Batteriser scales down the technology to the point where it can fit inside a stainless steel sleeve less than 0.1 mm thick.
The Batteriser slips on a normal AAA, AA, C, or D battery without making it too bulky to fit in your various devices. It can be used over and over. The company insists it’s safe to touch and is chemical-free. You can bring it in your carry-on bag or luggage, since it doesn’t violate any TSA rules.
The company, on its website, states that its results have been independently verified by the physics department of San Jose State University. The unit will sell for $10 for a pack of 4 and should go on sale this fall.